Links to other fungi sites
There are lots of fungi sites on the web, and Google lists them all. Below are some sites that have caught our attention. They are not necessarily ones at the top of Google's list, as the authors sometimes are not web page experts, but all contain interesting information. The list below is in no particular order.
- Australian Fungi - a blog has a series of articles with excellent articles on fungi, conecnetrating on the fungi of the Hunter Valley region in New South Wales - exacytly where many of the fungi we have photographed come from.
- The best fungi site for Australian fungi is undoubdetly Fungimap. Apart from excellent photographs and descriptions, Fungimap puts out regular pdf newsletters which contain a wealth of information and are free to download. The Fungimap project is an ongoing concern which is mapping the distrubution of fungi across Australia.
- The Sydney Fungal Studies Group have a site which contains a compehensive gallery of images of fungi in the Sydney basin area, especially hygrocybes from Lane Cove National Park. Unfortunately, many of the images are heavily watermarked.
- Bill Leithead's fungi pages also has an extensive online photographic catalogue of Australian fungi - concentrating on Victorian fungi. The site also includes some very good general inforamtion.
- If by chance you are Latvian and wish to read some of Blueswami.com's fungi contenet in that language, Anna Galovich has gone to the trouble of translating it. You can see the result at http://blog.1800flowers.com/international/fungi-blueswami-et/
- Fungi sex is a fascinating subject, mainly because it is so vastly different to animal or plant sex. Cardy Raper has studied the mating habits and sex life of fungi with a focus on mushroom bearing types, including how button mushrooms have self-fertilise sex, and Schizophyllum commune has thousdands of mating types. Details of the book she has written about this are at Love, Sex and Mushrooms.
- A good site for fungi recipes is http://www.wildmushroombasket.com/